Monday, December 1, 2008

Artist interview: Fine, Folk and Applied Artists

While trying to determine which artists to interview for this assignment, the hardest task was to place them into a single category; (One fine artist, one folk artist, and one artist who practices applied art). Most of the artists that we knew and talked to could not be categorized as only one of these: I feel that this is an example of how art has progressed and evolved in order to remain alive. One of the artists I interviewed was Camron Wiltshire: Graffiti Artist. As we previously established, there is some controversy as to weather graffiti is fine or folk art. When I asked Camron which category he would place himself into, he replied. " I try not to worry about labels, If you become rigid you lose spontaneiety and are too worried about adhering to a doctrine/dogma/style/rules. I guess we should remember the only real laws are the natural laws of the Universe." When asked why he does art/graffiti, he responds, "I paint so that I can communicate. My favorite topics to communicate revolve around changing our perception of who we are and how we can relate. Art is something that transcends all borders, you needn't speak the same language to understand a great work of art. Also I feel it is important that we reach for that which is ineffable, sometimes you can tap the vein and magic starts to happen." When asked about the meaning behind his work he explains, " The meaning behind my work depends on the particular piece but most times I am trying to relate an emotion,story,feeling,etc visually and hopefully reach whoever might come upon it. This is why I love murals and graffiti because you are much more likely to be viewed and thus to communicate with a wide audience, hopefully spurring a change in the collective."

No comments: